Saturday, August 2, 2008

Journalism:

Every day when I read or view television I am shocked! A feeling that I do not relish nor do I think most of us do. Why then almost all ‘reports’ are so ominous? Naturally, because the world is full of gloomy things. Sometimes however, I get to read/see brighter things as well, but normally not highlighted and kept in a corner. As if it is a shameful thing and better be concealed. Since honest journalism demands that is why it is being reported.

There may be another reason – things that are normal, and all good things are normal, do not need reporting. It is the exception, the abnormal which needs attention of the mass and therefore, those must be reported. If it is so then I have no reason to feel bad. Though the media is full of ominous things the world is not.

Some wise man had said “seek and you will find”. So I infer that our journalists seek the gloomy and therefore they find it. Once found it has to be reported. When reported it is also read. Repeatedly reading such things leave indelible impressions. Such impressions then convert people and more evil minded are created. I am afraid that there will come a day when the “normal” would become “exception”. Or is the day already here?

No comments: